CARLOS KING - Wiseman #2

 My name is Carlos King and I am a 49 year old man who has spent the last 30 years in prison for two counts of Armed Robbery and Felony Firearm. I am deeply remorseful for the choices that brought me to prison, and the many irresponsible things I done throughout my youth. My heart goes out to the families that were affected by my crimes and who continue to suffer because of them. I am deeply sorry for the pain that I have brought to their lives and I have a great deal of empathy for their suffering.


I was 18 years old at the time of my crimes, but through penitence and transformation, I see the world and myself through an entirely different lens. Before prison, I did not know what empathy and compassion truly meant because for so long in my life, my pain and suffering was the only thing that mattered to me. So it took a great number of years before I actually desired to be better by taking responsibility for my actions, and doing something else with my life besides mischief. When I transformed and became a man of humanity through practice, patience, and love, I experienced this relatable kindness that extended far beyond my own discomfort. I had only a seventh grade education when I entered prison in 1992, and I was very emotionally dysfunctional. But through dedication and commitment to be better, I gained my:

GED,
Paralegal certification,
Braille certification (I was a lead instructor who taught Braille for
eight years at Michigan Braille Transcribing Fund
in Jackson, Michigan)
Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel certification,
Personal Finance certification,
Compassionate and Accountability certification (I am now one
of the facilitators that teaches this class to a group of
prisoners),
Published a book in 2013, "Pain is my Past, Love is my Future"
Inside/Out Michigan program certification,
Male Responsibility certification,
Parole Preparation certification, and many other accomplishments that has enriched me on my quest to be more than the worst thing I have ever done.

This is who I have worked to become as I continue to grow in maturity, but my path has been far from easy. In truth, being in prison isn't a cake walk for me. It took a great number of years before I changed and saw value in myself, which led me to see value in others. I was so full of anger, bitterness and despair that I was given many infractions for my behavior. Transformation was very difficult for me! I was buried so deep in misery that I didn't know what it was like to crave or desire anything else. Although I am not perfect today, my actions and my character do not reflect who I was yesterday. I hold myself accountable and I live to help others to be more before they experience the hardships of prison that I had to suffer through. Join us as we share our pains, insight and triumphs with you.

Wiseman #2




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cancelled Culture

Why do white women seek relationships with incarerated black men?

THOUGHTS ON THE YOUTH AND THE VOTING PROCESS