Walk in someone else's shoes - By Terrico Allen

As I reflect on the day I entered prison. The reality of being sentenced to death hit me immediately. I surveyed the surroundings and realized this would be my exisitence until death calls me. I begun thinking, am I this awful to have my life taken from me. Then in an instant I begun thinking of the young man's life whom I was convicted for. Was his life worthy, did he deserved to die, did his family deserved to have their lives turned upside down to be broken and hurt from losing their loved one. His parents didn't give birth to him for his life to be taken from him over something senseless and selfish. His entire family and community was rocked because of this tragedy.

Most men in prison focus on the sentence they were issued. We think about how much we miss our families, lifestyles or what decisions we should have made prior to committing our crimes. We don't think about how many lives we destroyed. We're thinking about how we can get out of prison by seeking relief through the appeal process. But how do we remedy the wrong, harm and hurt we caused to our victims and their families. How do we repair the damage beyond saying we're sorry or asking for forgiveness. When do we learn to respect the beautiful lives that has been bestowed upon us all. Shouldn't love be the cornerstone of our respect for one another's lives? My victim's life wasn't respected. His life wasn't honored and valued. How could we be so selfish and think that we are so special that we don't see ourselves in the next person.

My parents passed in the early part of my bid. That gave me some understanding of the pain of my victim's loved one felt/feel. That pain resides in me still. My nephew was murdered a few years ago. That added to the pain that I live with. This is not to say that there is a measure of pain that is on the same level as my victim's loved ones. We all experience pain but we don't all receive it the same. So I will never measure what degree of pain they are living with. I'm merely expressing in this piece that those who have been convicted of a crime should stop thinking so much of ourselves as victims, and think of the harm we caused. Walk in someone else's shoes. And, see the value purpose and God in the next person. We are all God's children. Respect and love all as he respect and love us all.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. May you be blessed.

Any comments or questions shall be via jpay



Comments

  1. Mr Allen, your piece is so very heartfelt. I truly appreciate your candor in expressing your thoughts about the convicted, the victim and the families of the victim. I have a son who is in prison for things he did while he on a meth bender. The way he talks gives me pause when I think of whether or not it will happen again when he gets out in June. I also lost my cousin to murder in 2003 at the hands of her ex husband. Pain comes in many forms you see. I love my son, but his choices pain me as his mother, knowing the danger that a crazy man high on meth is capable of. Still, I hope for a better future for him. I loved my cousin and I have no regard or hope whatsoever for the man who killed her. I can never understand your situation as I am only one more imperfect human being on earth. But I do appreciate the time you spent sharing your thoughts with us. And for that I close with..
    Much regards and hope for peace for your soul...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Allen your thoughts are well revered in leiu of speaking of the victims family the pain they endure is unmeasurable. Thoughts of aDeath sentence is not easily excepted and the pain one my go through with the thoughts of that horrible metal doors slamming. That is your fate once you take another s life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cancelled Culture

Why do white women seek relationships with incarerated black men?

THOUGHTS ON THE YOUTH AND THE VOTING PROCESS