WHO CARES? I CARE! by Carlos King

I am currently in a level four prison in Michigan, where the inmate population consist of a 95 percentile of people ages twenty five or younger. Based on my first impression, these young people are lacking the desire to better themselves on a higher plane of existence. But maybe as I weed through the lot of them, I will encounter some that do. But as of yet, the mind set that I have seen so far isn't conducive to being ready to return back to society to be productive. Sadly to say, the only young person that I've met thus far that has any mental structure and reads to better himself is my cell mate, he seeks improvement and isn't afraid of the difficulty that goes into being more than the worst thing he's ever done so I will give everything to help him.

So on an initial walk through, I wouldn't want any of these young people in my neighborhood in their current mind set, and that's saying a lot coming from me. Because I love building the minds of young people so they can be better men and also so they won't come back to prison. I believe they are more than what people give them credit for, and although it looks bleak, I am prepared to do whatever I can to help them. Not all of them are bad, but as a mentor that leads by example, it is important for me to set the right example so they can be inspired to follow with the hopes or reaching a higher plateau of existence that will not only benefit them, but those that love them most. I want them to be so much better when they get out of prison so that they can have a real chance at success.

I have also looked at the correctional leadership here, they can be better in terms of helping these level four young people with tools that will encourage good behavior as opposed to only punishing them for bad behavior with no incentives set in place for good behavior. Punishment is not doing it because they are standing on their heads in segregation begging for more punishment because it only fuels their trauma related pain and anger which they do not have the tools to deal with in a healthy manner. This is what needs addressing so we can begin helping these young people in an effort to really save their lives and the lives other's who may suffer injury if they are allowed to return to society in the shape they are currently in.

These young people in this level four prison is inconsiderate, they lack compassion, empathy, and respect, due to their inability to share when it comes to the phones, jpays or what have you. The territorial aspect of these "Things" (phones, jpays, etc.,) are governed by brute force that oftentimes end in fights, stabbings and even murder. Once the parties are taken to segregation, the cycle continues from the next pair of young people who stands in the same shoes seeking to regulate the use of these "Things" until violence or death settles the dispute.

Being a survivor of trauma and pain, I know something is mentally wrong with a person that reaches the conclusion that these "Things" belong only to him or his 'set', when the level four population consist of 185 prisoners give or take at any given time. In knowing that, you would think the MDOC would create programs that deals with the level of trauma that these men have suffered through instead of merely placing them in segregation where they only grow in anger and eventual violence once released.

This is crazy to me because I just left a facility where I had to watch a young brother whom I cared a great deal for, who I had mentored on numerous occasions lose his life over the phone. I was helping him to be a better father to his teenage daughter, and also how to think through a situation as opposed to using only violence to settle his disputes. He wasn't quite there yet because he was entrenched in the gang life and had a reputation of being a bad ass. So, the tragedy of his death continues to rip my heart into a million pieces every time I close my eyes and recall a moment when he was vulnerable enough to reveal his real pain with me.

He deserved more than to die in prison on a dirty floor over a telephone, but his death was the tragic result of caring more about a phone then his daughter and his freedom. I will hold him in my heart forever. We need real change from not only an administrative level, but anyone that genuinely cares about the safety and health of these young people. Because right now I am literally watching that same cycle unfold due to the high tension over these telephones. And it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt or killed for not being able to use the telephone.

I found myself wondering after the death of my friend, why wasn't the MDOC's solution "let's get more than enough telephones so we won't have this problem again" rather disregarding it and constantly seeing violence and death be the result of not having enough? Right now I am wondering that very thing again at this facility. I want to go on the record by saying, I do not think these young people are incorrigible, I think they need the right examples set by people who aren't merely judging and punishing them.

These young people have yet to discover their inherent beauty and promising dreams, I would like to see them live long enough to reach them. I truly believe that most of them, giving the right tools and circumstances, could become great pillars of their communities. I am hopeful because I know what it took for me to become who I am today and it was more than punishment. I had a great deal of compassion, understanding, education, and programs thrown my way and it helped me choose a greater future for myself. I desire for them to have the same opportunity as I did.

What needs to happen to give these these young people a real chance at success? We need our Policymakers to funnel the necessary resources to the Michigan Department of Corrections to help our young people become bright and productive members in society.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cancelled Culture

Why do white women seek relationships with incarerated black men?

THOUGHTS ON THE YOUTH AND THE VOTING PROCESS